Wednesday 17 July 2013

Glossybox Review July 2013 - Seaside Splash




I was very excited to receive my Glossybox this month after seeing the different box design with the theme ''Seaside Splash''. However, I noticed other people had already recieved theirs about a week before mine, and I was disappointed that I hadn't even received a dispatch email let alone my box. Their delivery people Hermes I'm sure were to blame as they are rubbish I tell you!
Finally it arrived and the new design was a nice change rather than the usual light pink. I did find it a little bit garish but it did not dissapoint. The inside packaging had changed too; a blue ribbon and coral / starfish tissue paper which is usually black. 
The theme ''Seaside Splash'' does link with the box's content, with 3 out of 5 items that I found strongly linked with sunny weather. However, my other items didn't not fit in with the theme.




So what's in the box?






essie Sleek Stick Nail Stickers 
In 05 - a to zebra

Price - £9.99 (Full Size)
Product link - www.boots.com/en/Essie/Essie-Nail-Wraps/

When viewing the essie stand in Boots I have noticed these & although I didn't consider buying them, (because I prefer to paint mine plus the price put me off) I am glad to be able to try & compare them to the only nail wraps I've used before - from Poundland. I'm expecting there to be a phenomenal difference as the ones from Poundland were pretty poor.

- Brown tiger stripe print
- Supposed to be long wearing (up to 10 days)
- I'm not a fan of animal print but at least they weren't lepoard print!
- I would have preferred a different design but they are not too bad as the print is quite subtle.

To use these all you have to do is choose the right size for each nail, place on nail and then file off the excess. I personally cringe at doing this in fear of ruining my already shaped nails. This set costs £9.99 which is already the price of GB without p&p.



Sleek Makeup Pout Paint
In 162 Milkshake & 163 Peek-a-bloo

Price - £4.99 / 8ml (Full size)
Product link - www.sleekmakeup.com/lips/lip-colour/pout-paint

It was very nice of Glossybox to include two of these but not nice of them at all to include a hideous colour such as blue. I would have been happier to recieved just my Milkshake shade as the blue one offended me. I noticed bigger beauty bloggers got two wearable shades. However, as for us average Joe's, it seems a lot of us got a blue or silver shade.
I'm seriously quite offended at recieving the blue lip colour & I'm not quite sure why other receivers have tolerated this. I would not have paid money for this. Glossybox should have thought more througoughly about this but they do claim it is meant for mixing shades. Blue adds 'depth & warmth' whilst silver lightens. Silver sounds more friendly to me, but I would have preferred neither. I was willing to try mixing my two shades, and the result was a dirty, mauve-bordering-purple, a shade that I would never wear on my lips. For me, this might as well go in the bin! 
I have never had a GB item that I would.not.use. I will always try & make a use out of it; and I'm not overly fussy - I'll try anything. But this is a whole new level!




Sorry about my rant, moving on:

- Milkshake is a peachy/pink/coral shade which is tolerable. Used lightly, it makes a creamy coral peach colour which doesn't quite suit my fair skin tone but I can work with it.
- Applied more thickly, the shade is really rather bright, neon really. Looks quite hideous too.
- Texture is like lipgloss when applied thickly, but resembles shiney lipstick when applied lightly.
- The product did separate in both tubes. Needs to be shaken before applying.
- Very pigmented in colour
- Not sure how long it lasts as I won't be wearing either long enough to know. 
- Confused at the hype around these Pout Paints - a neutral shade would have been more suitable for testing out. 
- Other shades available on their website (linked above)
- Does pick up lines / cracks in the lips
- Needs to be applied with a lip brush; even then it applies very unevenly.



Anatomicals Spray Misty For Me
Facial Spray

Price - £6.00 / 100ml (Full size)
Product link - unfortunately I can't find this anywhere... just for Glossybox? Not sure.

Now, I've tried facial spritz in the past & have always enjoyed them in the summer. My current one is Melvita's Rose Floral Water that I received in the Latest in Beauty x CEW Awards Box (review link here). I've also been using E.L.F's Makeup Mist & Set Spray which is great for holding your make up in place. 

- Great sized bottle
- Lovely design and colours. I love that they use Elvis Presley & Clint Eastwood pictures and references. 
- The 'spritz' is too fierce. It does give a bit of shock / flinch when used.
- Great for cooling down the face & body.
- Stays wet for a few minutes
- Not overly keen on the scent - Lavender & Peppermint. Not the best mixture but calming (& a little granny!). However, you can only smell it for a few seconds.
- Apparently sets make up. I haven't tested this out so I can't comment.
- GB love to send out Anatomicals' products. Still using up my rose shower gel from them!




Coola Organic Suncare Collection
Mineral Face SPF 20 Unscented

Price - £29.99 / 50ml
Product link - www.amazon.co.uk (if you use Birchbox it's also on their online shop)

I will always welcome an SPF based product as I am seriously prone to burning with my fair skin. This teeny sample won't go a long way and it probably won't give me long enough to be able to fully make my mind up about it. 

- Absorbed into my skin very quickly and did not leave any residue / stickiness.
- It does not mattify but left a slight sheen
- Claims to be pore minimising, soothing, toning, reduces inflammation & balances         moisture.
- It holds anti-ageing benefits
- Broad-spectrum UVA / UVA 
- Titanium Dioxide based formula for those who are Zinc sensitive
- Made with 98% natural ingredients
- Hypoallergenic & paraben free
- Water-resistant for 40 minutes.
- Not sure if it minimised my pores but my face felt smooth and soft after use.
- Tiny sample - won't last long



Alterna Haircare
Bamboo Style Boho Waves Tousled Texture Mist

Price - £23.00 / 125ml
Product link - www.lookfantastic.com

I actually received this product damaged. Again, it was probably Hermes as I've heard many stories about them throwing parcels over fences, in bins etc. It was split at the bottom causing the liquid to seep out and into my box. I expect Glossybox to replace this item.



It did waste a lot of product and I had to transfer the contents into a spare spray bottle. However onto the product itself: 

- It adds texture, volume and a healthy shine to all hair types.
- Great for the messy, 'just out of bed' look which I usually don't need a spray to achieve. 
- Smells great
- Can be used on damp or dry hair
- Fairly small sample size but definitely enough to make an opinion of it.
- Didn't notice an extreme difference but I would assume this is because my natural hair is already wavy / messy!

So what did you think? Did you get the same or slightly different to mine? I'd love to know, especially your thoughts on the Pout Paints. If you're considering subscribing to Glossybox, you can use my personal link here, which gives me points, or the GB homepage link is here.


Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh those Essie nail stickers are a pain in the butt to use! Good luck eek.
    Also, you got a new follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can imagine! Will give them a go but much prefer polish!
      Thanks hun, I'm following you too! :)

      Delete